Everything You Need To Know Before Having Plastic Surgery
Let’s talk on this website about everything you need to know before having plastic surgery. But we will start with its concept.
What Is Plastic Surgery?
Plastic surgery or Cosmetic Surgery is one of more than 50 medical specialties recognized by the Federal Council of Medicine. However, through advanced surgical techniques, its objective is to reconstitute some parts of the body.
Plastic Surgery Can Be Of 2 Types:
Aesthetics: aims to improve the appearance of the patient.
Some examples are:
- Mammoplasty, among other examples
Repairing: the objective is to improve the patient’s appearance and give him a better quality of life by correcting congenital or acquired defects.
Some examples are:
- Palate cleft correction (cleft lip)
- Skin grafts in burns or accident victims
- Breast reconstruction in patients who had cancer, among other examples
Plastic Surgery Is With The Plastic Surgeon
Before having plastic surgery and for the result to be positive, it is necessary to choose a good plastic surgeon first. It is very important to emphasize that the patient’s health is a priority, and the procedure must be performed by a qualified professional prepared for the type of surgery chosen. Above all, carrying out research in advance about the plastic surgeon is essential. Below are some valuable tips on how to choose a plastic surgeon:
- Ask for referrals from friends who have had surgery
- Ask a doctor known to you and your family for a referral
- Check if the recommended doctor has a specialization in plastic surgery and is a member of the Brazilian Society of Plastic Surgery (SBCP)
- Check if the doctor participates in congresses and lectures, presentation of papers, publications, and the number of surgeries performed
- Make sure that the surgeon is accredited in good hospitals in the city, even if he has his clinic and surgical center
- Enter the surgeon’s social networks
- Make sure the surgeon is an expert in the area of the body you want to operate on
- Make an appointment with at least two doctors and compare
Before Having Plastic Surgery, Which Clinic Or Hospital Would Be Better?
In general, it is common to perform some procedures in clinics, such as otoplasty, blepharoplasty, and treatments for writers. This has been beneficial in streamlining certain demands, especially minor surgeries.
However, plastic surgeries such as abdominoplasty, and breast reconstruction, among others, are not of low complexity. Therefore, it needs the structure and equipment of a specialized center for patient safety. Therefore, only minor surgical procedures should be performed in clinics, provided they are properly equipped and safe. Medium and large surgeries must be performed in a hospital for the safety of the patient and the professional since it is very important to have a good infrastructure in case of complications.
Recovery From Plastic Surgery
Generally, plastic surgery recovery time varies with the type of procedure performed. In which each patient will receive specific recommendations for a good postoperative period. The patient must maintain a balanced diet, drink plenty of liquids, and avoid smoking and alcoholic beverages, in addition to being patient and obeying all the post-surgery rules.
Finally, it is important to say that all plastic surgery has risks, and it is necessary to be aware of them. Therefore, the plastic surgeon must have a frank and enlightening conversation with the person who will be operated on to align expectations about the procedure.